You worked really hard and finally got that face to face interview. Now, don’t blow it! You worked hard to get the interview, so work hard now to be prepared. Here my top ten list of interviewing faux pas. So Boost Your Interviewing skills.
- Being Late – Be on time. The end.
- Appearance –You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
- No Questions – Research the company you are interviewing with. You don’t want to ask a ridiculous question like “What do you produce?” Big mistake there. But, you want to show that you are engaged and want to work there so have at least two questions.
- No Examples – You know some of the questions the interviewer is going to ask you. Have some well worded answers prepared. You don’t need to have them written down, but spend some time rehearsing prior to your interview. Check out How to Answer 23 of the Most Common Interview Questions.
- Bad Mouthing Former Boss – Even if your last boss was a crazy, maniac, bully don’t bad mouth them in an interview. Don’t make yourself a victim.
- No Eye Contact – Look at the interviewer when answering their questions. Do not stare at them like a crazed goat or talk to their wall or plant.
- Being the Walking Dead – If you want the job show that you do. Be engaged in the interview. Acting and looking like a zombie won’t get you the job.
- Chewing Gum – No drinking, smoking or gum chewing period. Why even talk about it.
- Not Being Realisti – What job are you applying for? Is the going market salary really a million dollars a year? Get real. Don’t ask for something everyone knows is impossible.
- Not Asking For the Job – Ask the interviewer how you did. Let them know your really want this job. If you don’t ask you’ll never receive.
Just don’t take my word for it. Check out these 10 Unusual Interview Mistakes and 6 that are ALL too Common.