It is difficult to become a great leader without being a great communicator. If you examine some of the worlds best leaders you’ll find them all them all to be exceptional communicators. Equally you’ll find that organizations that have problems result from poor communicators.
Forbes has compiled a list of quick tips to lead you into being and effective communicator.
Enjoy and Apply!
- Be Trustworthy– Trust is best created by earning it with acting right, thinking and making the right decision. Also, keep in mind people will forgive many things where trust exists, but will rarely forgive anything where trust is absent.
- Get personal-There is truth in the following statement “ people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care” . If you don’t develop meaningful relationships with your people you’ll never know what’s really going on until it’s too late.
- Be specific– Learn to communicate with clarity. Simple and concise is always better than complicated and confusing. It is critical to learn how to cut to the chase and hit the high points as time has never been more precious commodity.
- Shut up and listen-Great Leaders know when to dial it up, and dial it off. Knowledge is not gained by flapping your lips. Remove your earwax and listen!
- Replace ego with empathy– don’t let pride write checks that your talent cant cash. When messages are delivered with empathy and caring and not the prideful arrogance of an over inflated ego good things begin to happen. Empathetic leaders display a level of transparency and authenticity.